The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Montana seeks a nonprofit full-charge bookkeeper with at least five years of non-profit and fund-accounting experience to work in our local Missoula office. This is an independent contractor position. The position requires proven experience managing multiple funding sources and grants, and advanced expertise in QuickBooks accounting software. High attention to detail and accuracy, strong integrity, good communication skills, and commitment to serving the mission of ACLU of Montana are required. Approximate weekly hours are four to six (4-6), with flexibility for busier or less busy weeks, depending on need and with potential for a bi-weekly schedule.
The ACLU of Montana is an affiliate of the national ACLU organization and consists of two independent corporations: the 501 (c)(4) American Civil Liberties Union of Montana (the “Union”) and the 501(c)(3) ACLU of Montana Foundation, Inc. (the “Foundation”). The ACLU works in the courts, legislatures, and communities to advance and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to all people protected by the U.S. Constitution and laws of the United States.
To learn more about the work of the ACLU of Montana, please visit www.aclumontana.org
Scope of Services
As our contract bookkeeper, your responsibilities will include:
• Following all organization’s financial policies and procedures to ensure strong internal controls are being maintained;
• Accounts receivable (A/R) – Recording income from all sources (check/cash, credit card and stock gift transfers), managing grant and pledges receivable accounts and expense reimbursements from national organization;
• Accounts payable(A/P) – Processing bills and reimbursement requests, ensuring accurate recording to grant classes, ensuring that bills are paid in a timely manner;
• Processing employee expense reporting;
• Posting all financial data in the accounting system (QB);
• Account reconciliations – Performing monthly account reconciliations;
• Managing financial data and accurate recordings for 501 (c)(3) and 501 (c)(4) with a solid understanding of differences in (c)(3) and (c)(4) non-profit accounting;
• Bi-weekly payroll processing and associated liability payments – Ensuring accurate grant class coding and administration of benefits;
• Payroll tax reporting and payments and year-end employee W-2 and vendor 1099 processing;
• Assisting the Director of Finance and Operations with monthly close-out procedures to ensure timely processing of monthly financials and other projects as needed;
• Consulting and collaborating with the Director of Finance and Operations and Executive Director on areas of financial management.
Please send a proposal/letter of interest including your experience and background to the ACLU of MT Director of Finance and Operations, Britta Blödorn. E-mail: email@example.com with “Bookkeeper” in the subject line. We will review proposals on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Click here for a PDF version of this request for proposal.