The American Civil Liberties Union of Montana (ACLU of Montana) invites applications for a temporary, full-time Office Assistant based in Missoula to begin approximately April 30, 2018.
This is approximately a 24-week position. The Assistant will work for the first part under the supervision of the Legal Director and for the second part under the Director of Philanthropy and Strategic Initiatives.
Founded in 1972, ACLU of Montana, the statewide affiliate of the national ACLU, is a private, non-profit organization dedicated to defending the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
This is an incredible opportunity to assist and collaborate with our entire team. The position will spend approximately the first 12 weeks supporting the legal department and approximately the last 12 weeks supporting the development and administrative arms of the organization.
Supporting our legal team includes two main areas of responsibility: processing intake, or requests for legal assistance, and office management for our legal department.
Development and Administrative support includes two main areas of responsibility: processing incoming donations and office management for all parts of the organization.
These areas require a diverse set of skills and responsibilities including: excellent customer service, a professional, friendly attitude, effective teamwork, experience working in confidential environments, and technological competency.
- Process written intake requests and answer telephone inquiries, including data entry, drafting and sending response letters, and organizing intake requests;
- Maintain file management system in electronic format and in hard copy;
- May assist with investigations and cases;
- Process gifts/pledges and manage production of acknowledgement letters. Review donor acknowledgements for accuracy and action items that require follow-up;
- Identify and coordinate with Information Technology, Human Resource, and Finance contractors and other office vendors. Support staff with Information Technology and Human Resource matters;
- Schedule and coordinate meetings, appointments, and travel arrangements for staff and the board of directors;
- General office management duties such as handling the mail, tracking office supplies, and managing and submitting invoices.
- Organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills with the ability to complete tasks accurately and on time in a busy environment while providing attention to detail;
- Demonstrated computer literacy using Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel; considerable comfort manipulating data in Excel; ability to professionally format documents;
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including the ability to work with diverse groups of individuals and to establish and maintain good working relationships, both within the office and with external individuals / groups;
- A commitment to diversity and respect for differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance;
- Deep commitment to and passion for the advancement of civil rights and liberties;
- A team-building, collaborative, and positive manner.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation for this position is $14.00 an hour. Due to the position being temporary, the temporary employee is not entitled to benefits other than participation in the 401k program. The temporary employee is able to contribute to the 401(k) retirement plan, but there are no vesting opportunities due to the duration of the temporary employee contract. The temporary employee will be permitted to take up to five paid days off during the term of employment. These are not earned or accrued vacation days so these five days are not eligible for pay-out at end of the agreed-upon term. No additional employment benefits shall be provided.
All applications are treated confidentially. Submit a letter of interest; resume; and three professional references, identifying their relationship to you and including their email addresses and phone numbers. Email your application to Michelle Cares, Office Coordinator, at email@example.com or mail it to:
ACLU of Montana, Attn: Michelle Cares, P.O. Box 9138, Missoula, MT 59807
Please put “Temporary Office Assistant” in the subject line of your email or on your envelope. Also, please indicate in your letter of interest where you saw this job posting.
Application review will start March 26, 2018. Additional applications are encouraged and will be accepted until the position is filled.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.