Any day, the Supreme Court will issue their decision in Obergefell v Hodges, the marriage equality case that could secure the freedom to marry for same sex couples across the country. As Americans wait for this landmark decision, we need to remember that this work for LGBT equality will not end with a marriage decision. Until people can get married on Saturday and not lose their jobs for wearing their wedding rings on Monday, we must remain solid on our commitment to full equality.
There are several ways to participate in this historic moment in time.
- Sign a statement of support for the freedom to marry today.
- Use the hashtag #DecisionDay for your supportive social media posts. We will also have images available for download to show your support. We will post them on our Facebook pages for both ACLU of Montana and Fair is Fair Montana.
- Sign up for updates on how to stay involved as we continue the work for fairness
When the decision comes, we will want to gather in our own communities to either celebrate the moment or talk about what comes next. There are events being planned in several communities across Montana. Please join us to mark the moment at one of these events:
- Big Sky Pride is organizing #DecisionDay events in Billings, Bozeman, Great Falls, Helena, Butte, Kalispell and Missoula. Find up to the minute information on where to go HERE.
- Bozeman PFLAG is planning a rally and a candlelight vigil. Join the facebook event page for the most current logistics HERE.